- Tuesday, October 23rd, 7:00 - 7:30pm @ the Queer/Straight Alliance Meeting, New Student Union (Concord Room)
- Thursday, October 25th, 12:15 - 12:45pm Room PE 140 (Dance Studio)
- Wednesday, October 31st, 11:00 - 11:30am Room THEA 182 (Studio Theatre)
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Hello Bay Area Community,
Please join the Statewide Dance Flash Mobs to Save Public Education.
Wednesday October 31st, 12:00 - 12:20pm
@ CSUEB in front of the RAW Center
and also taking place simultaneously at CSU campuses across the state.
Come learn the choreography at one of these training sessions:
If you can't make it to any of these, and don't have any time to learn the choreography online, come anyway at noon on Halloween and follow along!
For more information, see the post below that gives full instructions for campuses across the state.
PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY!
If you're not able to attend a training session, you can learn the choreography online at
And see how it fits into the whole Dance Flash Mob at
And if you don't have a chance to watch the videos, here's the choreography in narrative form:
STRUCTURE OF PERFORMANCE:
1) Percussion and other music can start as people are getting into place—to draw a crowd (the percussion can include as many musical instruments as you can gather, but at a minimum should have one person dedicated to keeping clapping going.)
2) Ideally set up in a formation of either a rectangular or semi-circle grouping of performers(more confident participants in front and others spreading behind as far as needed.)
3) Performers enter the performance space clapping.
4) Chorus w/chants:
5) Call and Response Chant (done 2 times)
Leader: “Proposition 30?”
Group: “Yes! Yes!” (raising an arm with each “Yes!” into a big Y shape)
Leader: “Prop. 32?”
Group: “No! No!” (wagging finger)
· Leader calls (5! 6! 7! 8!)
· Both arms reach up along sides (4 counts)
· Both arms return by your side (4 counts)
· Reach right (2 counts)
· reach left (2 counts)
· Reach/Go up towards sky (2 counts)
· reach/go down towards ground (2 counts)
· Turn around to the left (8 counts)
· Hitting and holding shapes (8 counts—counts 1, 3, 5, 7 are for everyone to hit and hold any shapes that you want for 2 counts, then on the “1” everyone goes down as low as possible to hold a shape with attention focused on center of space)
6) “Education is…” Dance/Theater piece accompanied by quieter percussion in featured performance space (64 counts)
7) Chants & Chorus
8) “Education is…”
9) Chants & Chorus
10) “Education is…”
11) repeat as many times as you have “Education is” pieces prepared to fill the slots
12) After last “Education is…” piece do Chorus 2 times and then…
13) Repeat Chanting (4x)
14) Exit clapping.
Eric Kupers will lead the actual flash mob and call out sections as they come up, so you don't have to remember all this.